Friday, January 8, 2010

eBay Selling Success Story - Walmart Stuffed Animal

I had some recent eBay success, a few weeks back, selling a stuffed animal that I thought I'd share. Stuffed animals can a huge success if you are patient.

I bought this cute little stuffed dog at a thrift store for $.59 and he sold from my store for $29.97. Check out the listing here. That's a $29.38 profit before eBay fees, just for a few minutes worth of work on one listing!

Now, like I said it takes patience if you're looking for that kind of profit. As far as success in selling plush (stuffed animals), the less common brands do better. What I mean is this Walmart dog sold for $29.97 but you might only get $10 for a Ty stuffed bear. It seems to be a supply and demand type situation as well. Think about it, if little Suzie lost her favorite stuffed dog, and if you're the only one on eBay with a listing, you'll most likely get your asking price. Listing them in a store format, rather than at auction, is the best way to go. Also, consider adding a "or best offer" feature to the listing. But, how do you know which plush pieces to price at $10 and what to price at $30 or maybe even $40? Take a peek around eBay. See how many others are for sell and price accordingly. No others for sell? Price a bit higher and add "or best offer".

For more about selling on eBay, read my eBay selling page! Thanks for taking a peek and good luck!

9 comments:

Credit Card Debt said...

Congratulations! That's a great success story. A huge profit margain.

I have a girlfriend coming over tomorrow I'm going to help her set up an ebay account. She's a thrift store addict (vintage and brand clothes) with a great eye and looking to make a mint on ebay :)

Angie said...

Thanks!! Have fun helping your friend.....she sounds like me and should LOVE eBay!! :)

Saph said...

Wow! that's an amazing sell! The brand of this was listed on the tag?

What do you do with items that don't sell? Or do your items stay in your store til they sell?

I want to get into selling on ebay but just don't seem to have an eye for items.

Saph said...

never mind my question on what you do if they don't sell - forgot I asked you that in a post before - forgot to check the box to get follow-up comments when I last commented.

Do you have a method on what you buy to sell? Do you guess some of the items will sell or you know they are items that are in demand. Like how did you know to set the price of the plush dog for that amount and when you saw it in the thrift store and just knew that was an item that sells?

Angie said...

I pretty much guess on most stuff. But, I'm always looking for "good" brands or things that "should" sell for $10-20.

The price of the dog, I just totally made it up!!!! Another lady who sells plush was doing the same, selling Walmart and Target plush, and getting $30-40 each, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Another good way to shop is think of replacements, like the stuffed dog. But, plates (parts of place settings) and mugs also do really well. I sell mugs for $10 and you be surprised how many people will pay me $10 for them!!

When I started out selling "new" things, I keep my investment low. I usually only pay $1 or less for stuff.

Saph said...

Ah! I'll have to keep my eye out for plush animals. Maybe I should sell my daughter's instead of donating them now!
As for the mugs, same thing? You just guess? $10 for a mug? wow! I've got mugs a plenty!

Sandy S said...

Wow, that is a great price for the stuffed animal !! I once got $45 for a stuffed monkey from a TV show. But yours is just a plain dog. I will have to remember that!

Alan Haft said...

Truelly, it is a lottery! Like investing the money.
Alan

Kristi said...

Great job! I'm amazed by small stuffed animals and children's lovies. Parents will pay top dollar to replace a lost one!

Ed Hardy

About Me

My photo
DFW, Texas
I'm a married, stay-at-home mom to two kiddos in grade school. I love to save money as much as I like to make it! Coupons, thrift stores? Lead the way! But wait....there's more! I have a BBA from University of Oklahoma and I was a banker and an accountant before I became a domestic goddess!

Disclosure

This policy is valid from 26 June 2008

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.

Update 2011.

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/

Reward Port

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP