Monday, December 14, 2009

Homemade Christmas Gifts In A Jar For About $2 Each

Yesterday my kids and I made our teacher gifts, aren't they cute? We decided on the Hearty Soup Mix in a jar from the Mason jar gift idea e-book that I told you about in my previous post. I had a few of the ingredients at the house and "borrowed" some jars, lids and rings from my mom. I told her they weren't coming back. Anyway, overall I spent $10.65 on supplies and made 5 jars, that just $2.13 a jar. I have a bit of everything except some split peas leftover, so we can make a batch of soup here at home too.

We cut Christmas cards in half (to make them post card style) and taped the soup directions on the back. This is a great way to recycle old cards. Although for this craft my daughter picked out a pack of 8 new cards from the $1 bin at Target. It was super frugal and she has 3 left over. We also found lots of ribbon and cool ornaments in our Christmas supply stock. I save everything! So, attached to each jar was the directions (on a cute card), an ornament, and a gift card.

Other ideas are attaching a wooden spoon, a cute dish towel, a pack of recipe cards, etc. to the jar. Also, you can use cute holiday fabric on the top, between the lid and the ring. My kids just added bows (free from CVS), since I forgot to "borrow" holiday fabric from mom. All in all, this was an awesome idea for holiday gifts since the kids were able to do a lot of it. The whole thing means so much more to both the giver and the recipient when the kids worked on it themselves!!

What items are you hand crafting this year? I'd love to hear about them!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love this! I'm going to have the kids make up a few gifts for our family Christmas gathering this Saturday. Thanks for the idea!

Angie said...

You're welcome!! I can't wait to make some of the soup....it sounds so good! :)

Ed Hardy

About Me

My photo
DFW, Texas
I'm a married, stay-at-home mom to two kiddos in grade school. I love to save money as much as I like to make it! Coupons, thrift stores? Lead the way! But wait....there's more! I have a BBA from University of Oklahoma and I was a banker and an accountant before I became a domestic goddess!

Disclosure

This policy is valid from 26 June 2008

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.

Update 2011.

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/

Reward Port

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP