Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Top 10 Thrift Store / Garage Sale Items To Hunt For & Sell On eBay

I've always loved going to thrift stores and garage sales. For me, there's such a trill in the hunt. Come on, what's not exciting about finding a $400 Waterford Crystal figurine for 99 cents? Yes, that actually happened to me, I found it at Goodwill. But the thing is, it was a golf figurine and I don't golf or need more stuff in my tiny house even though it was Waterford and all. So, I turn to eBay and sell these fabulous finds and then enjoy the same exciting rush when I make money selling it.

Here's my top 10 list of things to keep an eye out for, in random order:

1. 1980's VINTAGE SHEETS - Look for cool cartoon or TV/movie characters from the 80's like Star Wars, Dukes of Hazzard, Smurfs, Cabbage Patch Kids, etc. I once sold a twin set of Dukes of Hazzard sheets for almost $90 and all the buyer wanted was the pillowcase!

2. NWT CLOTHES- Clothes that still have the mfg. and or store hang tags. Usually easy to spot. Good sellers are women's plus sizes, men's big & tall, kids/infant clothes. Ladies clothes are more difficult to sell on eBay, unless they are designer.

3. STARBUCKS MUGS- I love selling mugs in general, but I always get a little rush when I pick up a Starbucks mug. Most mugs sell for $10, but some Starbucks mugs can sometimes bring in $40 or so.

4. MENS TOMMY BAHAMA SHIRTS- We're talking the silk button up variety, excellent condition only. Big and tall sizes are a bonus!

5. HOLIDAY STUFF- New, boxed or excellent condition ornaments, candy dishes, figurines, mugs, china, tableware, outdoor flags, etc. Infant and kids dressy wear, Christmas sweaters. I usually start the Christmas selling season about January 10th, seriously!! People shop for nice Christmas items year round. I paid 45 cents for a new Lenox China Santa cup last October, and it sold for $15 two weeks after Christmas. But, don't overlook Halloween costumes, Thanksgiving & Easter stuff, etc.

6. HALLMARK ITEMS- Mugs, candy dishes, Keepsake ornaments, figurine, etc.

7. POTTERY BARN ITEMS- Any dishes, holiday stuff, excellent condition or new in package bedding, wall decor, toys, nursery decor, etc.

8. SPORTS WEAR/GEAR- Remember condition is VERY important! Some successful items for me have been; GK leotards, Under Armour pants (to be worn by a baseball player under their uniform..? I have no clue but they sold for $25!), Champion snow bibs, Nike cleats, etc.

9. SPORTS TEAM STUFF- College level or professional, both do well! Look for mugs, etched glasses and steins, jackets, wind pants, infant rompers and onesies, cheerleader costumes, etc.

10. EXPENSIVE STUFF- expensive stuff that's priced cheap. For example, I found a seriously ugly sweater (Coogi) with the Neimans (my clue to the expensive part) tag still on it for $3 and I sold it for $120. In this case, I actually knew about the Coogi brand, but you get the idea.

Just remember condition and price are very important. Get "new" and excellent condition items only. I normally don't pay more than $1 or $2 an item and also follow my $10 rule. I look for items that I can sell for at least $10 ($9.97 really) or that I can make at least $10 on it. Happy Selling!

6 comments:

Edna / HandmadeDiva said...

Very interesting info. Thanks

Angie said...

Yay!! Glad you liked it. :)

Keith Wilcox said...

Every year I tell myself I'm going to find bargains on holiday stuff only to wait until the last second and get ripped off. That's a huge one, because smart people (like yourself) will find all that stuff and buy it up for outrageous deals.

Angie said...

I do both, get end of season stuff and sell it to folks like you (hehe) and I also buy end of season, store the stuff in my cute clear, labeled holiday tubs, and then I'm ready to go at the start of each season.

For example, I have spent $0 on Halloween/fall decor this year. :)

Just keep practicing Keith, you'll get the hang of it!! :)

Toronto garage sales said...

Oh wow, I have never thought about this before. Good way how to earn money. It is possible by ordinary garage sales too, though. Actually, I have just written an article about how to succeed with stuff like that. You're welcome to read it.

Elli

Angie said...

Thanks Elli!!

Ed Hardy

About Me

My photo
DFW, Texas
I'm a married, stay-at-home mom to two kiddos in grade school. I love to save money as much as I like to make it! Coupons, thrift stores? Lead the way! But wait....there's more! I have a BBA from University of Oklahoma and I was a banker and an accountant before I became a domestic goddess!

Disclosure

This policy is valid from 26 June 2008

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.

Update 2011.

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/

Reward Port

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP