Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Quick Trip To A Thrift Store With eBay In Mind

I had an hour to run into my favorite thrift store (Goodwill) last week! I thought it would be fun to show everyone what I got, and what I had in mind for it as far as eBay was concerned.

Limited Too jeans (with mfg. tags) $3.99 - 50% coupon = $1.99
Lauren Jeans Co. Bermuda shorts (with mfg. tags) $3.99
11 pieces of misc glassware $.59 each
Hallmark ornament (new in box) $.99

Total OOP spent with tax = $14.57

I've listed everything auction style first. Everything was listed as an individual item except for the small Egg Nog mugs. I listed all 4 of those together as a set. The starting price for all 11 auctions is $9.99.

Now, lets say something does not sells at auction. I will move it to my eBay store. Some things will remain at about $10. The tagged clothing items will get priced between $15-20, the Noritake creamer will get priced at around $15. The same goes for the set of 4 Egg Nog glasses and maybe even the Hallmark Keepsake Dumbo Ornament. These items are all slightly "unique" and are no longer manufactured.

I like to buy items with collectors in mind, or people looking for a replacement. But at the same time, I'll need to give the right person a little time to find my items on eBay. The chances of someone needing a replacement Noritake "Zest" Creamer and them looking for one on eBay during my 7 day auction is pretty slim. But, if I move it to an eBay store and give it up to 2 years to be found, it will most likely sell. eBay takes some patience!

I figure between the auctions and the store, if everything eventually sells, I should make between $110-140 BEFORE eBay and PayPal fees. Still a great profit for $14.57 and an hour of my time to photograph and list. I don't count the shopping as "work" since I love the hunt! eBay allows me to get a "bargain shopping high" without becoming a pack rat. I'd rather make money than collect stuff anyway. It's a win-win for me! :)

2 comments:

amy05 said...

I agree! I love ebay! And it lets me shop for stuff that I can sell so I am not as much as a big pack rat as I used to be lol! I hit up some garage sales this week and found two vintage little people toys wooden ones I plan on selling those when I get them cleaned up also a vintage cabbage patch doll and tainbow bright shy violet doll and a few other misc. deals! Good luck with your selling!

Angie said...

OMG Amy!!! Awesome finds, people go nuts over the vintage Little People!!! I haven't been to any garage sales in a few months (it's so hot!!). I'm SO HOPING that once my daughter starts school, I'll be able to get a better routine down. :)

Keep me posted!

Ed Hardy

About Me

My photo
DFW, Texas
I'm a married, stay-at-home mom to two kiddos in grade school. I love to save money as much as I like to make it! Coupons, thrift stores? Lead the way! But wait....there's more! I have a BBA from University of Oklahoma and I was a banker and an accountant before I became a domestic goddess!

Disclosure

This policy is valid from 26 June 2008

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.

Update 2011.

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/

Reward Port

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP