Monday, September 7, 2009

What To Take From An eBay Success Story

Everyone loves a great eBay success story. And, to make this a great post, I'll give you one right now!

I bought this Linda Allard for Ellen Tracy wool blazer for $3 at a thrift store. I really like thrift stores because they have carts (good for containing my children) and A/C and heat. Anyway, I found the jacket during a 50% off sale back in the the spring. I put it in my store right away since it was not in season at the time. This jacket was only $.05 a month to list. I calculated that it was in there for 6 months so that's $.30 in listing fees.

Some benefits of the store listing was, in this case it ended up being cheaper to sit in the store rather than list it at auction once. I got to list it right away, name a price $39.97 in this case, and forget about it until the right buyer came along. Every great item has a potential buyer! You just never know when that will be. Sometimes a few days, and other times it takes a lot more patience and you wait over a year.

So...yay me!! I made about $36 in gross profit on this jacket. But that's not my point.

Instead of jotting down this all down in your eBay "hot sellers" notebook, here's something else to know. I used to work at Dillard's. In fact I was a manager in the women's department. So, when I saw this jacket, I knew right away that it was probably worth about $400 full retail price. I quickly figured 90% off that would be $40, and I could most likely sell it for that on eBay. If you know that brand and the quality, you'd agree. But here's what I'm getting at.....sell what YOU know!!!

When on the hunt for new eBay stock (in your attic, at a garage/estate sale, a thrift store, etc.) look around for things that you have some knowledge in and/or are passionate about. Kids clothes because you have kids, Lego blocks since your boys were obsessed, golf clubs because you're an avid golfer, Mont Blanc pens because you're a pen snob, DVD's because you work at Blockbuster at night, whatever it is...there's a market for it on eBay and a niche for you.

Finding, cleaning and listing items you have a knowledge in will be a faster and more successful process overall.

Happy Selling!

P.S. You can see the wool blazer listing here and read more about what I have to say about selling on eBay here.

2 comments:

urbanfrugalchick said...

Just found your blog from Shoe Money, You are my kind of girl. Love your blog and what you stand for...we have way too much in common : )

Angie said...

Yay!! A reader from Shoemoney....never would have thought! :)

Ed Hardy

About Me

My photo
DFW, Texas
I'm a married, stay-at-home mom to two kiddos in grade school. I love to save money as much as I like to make it! Coupons, thrift stores? Lead the way! But wait....there's more! I have a BBA from University of Oklahoma and I was a banker and an accountant before I became a domestic goddess!

Disclosure

This policy is valid from 26 June 2008

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.

Update 2011.

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/

Reward Port

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP